Tuesday 26 February 2013

Nollywood Icon Joke Silva Says She Has The Ability To Re-invent Herself


Screen Diva Joke Silva has come a long way in Nollywood. She has paid her dues definitely as a sought after actress. She also knows her onions and she is one of the likable actresses Nigeria is blessed with.
How will you describe your career at the early stage?
It was really tough. It got to a point in time that it was almost impossible to get jobs. It went on like that. I had to find other things to do, but after a while things became stable. But I must confess, it was really tough at the beginning.
So what are the things that shaped your career to this height?
Is my career at a height? I am not sure. But I know that passion has helped me a lot. I am very passionate about my job. If I wasn’t, I would have given up when jobs were not forth coming at the beginning. I just had to move on then. Thank God, I kept at it. And according to some people, I have the ability to re-invent myself. So that there will be longevity in what I do. I’ve been able to see the opportunity that exists as the industry also re-invents itself. Persistence in what I do is another major factor.
What are the qualities that can keep one at the top?
Integrity is very important. All of us have integrity in a lot of areas but not in fulfilling promises. We have to strife for integrity in all areas of our lives. Sometimes it can be very difficult, especially in this country of ours. A lot of things seem to make it impossible but you have to strife for it. If you do, a lot of people will not disappoint you again.
What is your advice to the upcoming ones?
Whatever you do, just make sure it is something you enjoy doing. It won’t seem like hard work if you enjoy doing it. Even when there is hard time or challenges, it won’t be too much. Don’t rush into something because others are in it. Go into acting because you have passion for it, not because some people are called stars in it, or because some people grace the cover of magazines. Be persistent with what you do, even when things are tough. I even like challenges. Things would be boring if there were no challenges. Challenges give you a task of finding solution to a problem. It also earns you more pay, so don’t be afraid of challenges.
What are you giving back to the industry that made you?
Some years back, precisely in 2000, I made up my mind to mentor a lot of people. I have been doing that, since then. I am also a good ambassador of the industry. I believe in the industry. I strongly believe things will get better by the day.
What is your definition of success?
Success to me is being happy with what you do, being comfortable and at ease in what you do, having a good relationship with people around you, these for me is success. But at this time, my nation is facing challenges that she shouldn’t be facing, so my success is diminishing.
You just became a UN Ambassador. How do you feel about it?
I feel it is a huge sense of responsibility.
How did you get the appointment?
It started about a year or two ago when they approached me through the UN women. They had a meeting with me revealing their intention of having their relationship with me. I found it interesting and we have been talking until recently, when it came to actualization.
What are some of your responsibilities as a UN Ambassador?
It is to bring awareness on trafficking; I mean all forms of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...