Tuesday 7 May 2013

The Curious Case Of Sleeping In Class

So you wake up in the morning, take a bath, brush your teeth or postpone the brushing (well...you know), dress up, eat breakfast or not and drag yourself to school in anticipation of what those long hours of school will bring. For some people, it’s an exciting time to show off all they studied through the night and remind every teacher that walks in to mark their homework while for others like me, it’s time to continue gisting from where we left off the previous day, play pranks on fellow students and meditate deeply while a class is going on. Now in the club of school haters, the word “Meditate” means “To sleep off while reading or listening in class.” Notice that when we woke up to go to school, we never planned to sleep during class; sleep just came on us through the instrumentality of boring teachers. Part of the reasons I hated school was not because of school itself but because we had more boring teachers than we had exciting ones. 

I had a teacher once who will wear her make up in class and ask us to copy our textbook into our notebook. I had another teacher who will spend time telling stories in a calculation course because he didn’t know how to solve the questions in the text book he wrote. I even had one that will give you a mathematical answer at the beginning of class and spend the remaining minutes trying to figure out how he reached that answer. I wish you saw the one that will seize your snacks and eat the snacks in class in front of you and the one that will come to class to nap and ask us to copy our notes or read a chapter in our text book. Now you know why I preferred to sleep in class. I shared a special bond with sleep that even when I didn’t plan to sleep; it just had a way of whisking me away in class. To sleep effectively in class, there were many sleeping positions, some were preplanned (i.e. You already planned the sleep before the teacher started teaching) and some took the “sleeper” by surprise (i.e. You thought you were listening and answering questions in class not knowing you were doing that in your dream). Before you start pretending that you don’t know what it means to sleep in class, take a look at the pictures below and take your pick because I know you sleep in class and other learning environments.

John-bull my son i sent you to school to learn not sleep!

I am trying so hard to keep this eyes open but they won't let me


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...